Cannabis infused bath bombs work just like any other “bath bomb” product except they also infuse your bathwater with relaxing, skin-nourishing CBD and THC.
For those not familiar, a bath bomb is a beauty product that fizzes when placed in the bath, quickly turning a normal tub time into a delightful treat. Most bath bombs contain skin-healthy oils and other beneficial products that infuse into the water as they dissolve. They can also contain relaxing aromatherapy ingredients, like lavender oil or dyes that turn the water fun, zany colors.
How those bubbles form is a matter of simple chemistry. Nearly all bath bombs contain the same two ingredients: sodium bicarbonate – AKA baking soda – and crystallized citric acid. As contact with water causes the bath bomb to dissolve, these ingredients mix and create a chemical reaction. Carbon dioxide forms, creating the bubbles, and the remaining ions combine to form sodium citrate, a salt.
As an added benefit, increasing the salinity of the water causes more moisture to enter the skin, and sodium citrate is also a known mild antioxidant. But it’s the other ingredients in the bath bomb that usually do the heavy lifting, and CBD/THC oil is one of the most beneficial from a medical standpoint.
How does a CBD and THC Bath bomb Work?
Did you know? Humans produce their own cannabinoids known as endocannabinoids. These neurotransmitters act as chemical messengers in the body. The human body is filled with receptor cells, on being activated the receptor cells send messages to certain cells notifying them about how to react. These receptors are activated by the Endocannabinoids.
An integral aspect of brain functioning is cannabinoids, and our body processes it irrespective of its source being internal or external. That is why CBD bath bomb recipe is a highly efficient compound for treating varied illnesses. The endocannabinoid system plays a pivotal role in regulating the appetite, libido, and mood.
CBD dissolved in warm water enters the skin and reaches the bloodstream quickly. The even distribution of cannabinoid in the body creates a relaxing effect. It has several anxiolytic and healing properties like
- Skin Benefits– It not only hydrates the skin by opening up all the pores but renders a glowing look to the face as well. From acne reduction to reducing the ill effects of oily skin, CBD works as a great moisturizer.
- Relaxing Effect-Several studies have pointed out that CBD bath bomb recipe does not have any side-effect neither is it addictive. It is more effective than prescription anxiolytic drugs. CBD enters the bloodstream and interacts with serotonin and dopamine the ‘happiness chemicals’ in our body to create a de-stressing and relaxing effect.
- Alleviates Body Aches-The Journal of Experimental medicine stated that the non-psychoactive compound CBD is a new found compound for treating chronic pain. It can also treat arthritis pain, sores, muscle cramps, and aches. It is by large more effective than opioid drugs. On being mixed with Epsom salt it improves blood circulation by removing toxins from it.
CBD has certainly been a massive game-changer in the field of self-care. Put to use the unique CBD bath bomb recipe and indulge in a soothing wellness experience.
How to Make Your Own Cannabis infused Bath Bombs
Start to finish: 3+ hours (active: 15 minutes)
Yields: 1 bath bomb
- Bath bomb molds (we love these ones from Amazon)
- 4 ounces baking soda
- 2 ounces corn starch
- 2 ounces citric acid
- 2 ounces epsom salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon essential oil
- ¼ teaspoon THC or CBD infused coconut oil or tincture – Get yours HERE
- 1–2 drops food coloring or mica color powder
- Combine all dry ingredients (except color) in a bowl. Whisk until evenly mixed.
- Combine all wet ingredients (except color) in a small glass vessel (a shot glass works perfectly).
- Very slowly, stir the liquid mixture into the dry mixture, whisking as you go. If you see lots of fizzing, you’re going too fast. If you’re using food drops for coloring, add them now.
- After all ingredients are evenly combined, the mixture should feel like damp sand. To test it out, put a small amount in your hand and squeeze. It should stick together in 1–2 big chunks once you release your hand. Add a few more drops of water if it doesn’t. Once you reach the desired consistency, mix in the color powder (if using).
- Fill each half of your mold with the mixture until it is a little over-filled, but don’t pack too densely. Loosely sprinkle some more of the mixture on each half (this helps the two sides meld).
- Press the halves together firmly and hold for a few seconds. Gently remove one side of the mold.
- Place the bath bomb mold side down and allow to dry for about 20 minutes. Carefully remove the other side of the mold in a gentle twisting motion. (Pro tip: Bath bombs can fall apart very easily, but you can remold one side or re-mix the whole ball and start over if you need to.)
- Let sit for a few hours (or preferably overnight) until bath bomb is totally firm, then enjoy a soothing cannabis infused bath and let your stress melt away!
A homemade cannabis infused bath bomb is a perfect gift for your stoner valetine’s day!
Get some inspiration from these other Bath Bomb creators!